地址：163000, Arkhangelsk,naberezhnaya Severnoy Dviny,
Federal Center for Integrated Arctic Research (FCIARctic, the Center) is located in the Arkhangelsk region – in the most habitable and developed part of the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation (AZRF).
The Center is the successor of research areas developed by several Russian Academy of Sciences’ (RAS) and the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences’ institutions formed in the city of Arkhangelsk in the 1990s.
In 2016 the Center was named after the outstanding Russian scientist academician Nikolai Laverov.
Form of the FCIARctic’ legal entity’s incorporation – federal state budgetary institution.
The founder of the Center is the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation
The scientific and methodological activities of the Center are led by the Russian Academy of Sciences
FCIARctic was formed in 2015 by consolidation of:
Arkhangelsk Scientific Center of the Ural Branch of the RAS (UB RAS)
Institute of Environmental Problems of the North of the UB RAS,
Institute of Physiology of Natural Adaptations of the UB RAS,
Arkhangelsk Institute of Agricultural Research of the RAS
Naryan-Mar Agricultural Experimental Station of the RAS.
The mission of the Center is comprehensive fundamental, exploratory and applied research for in order to create directly in the AZRF competitive scientific and technological foundations for ensuring state interests in this macroregion, its balanced socio-economic development and improving the quality of life of the population, preserving the natural environment, biological and genetic diversity in the Russian Arctic.
FCIARctic’ GENERAL RESEARCH AREAS:
• development of coastal areas and infrastructure along the Northern Sea Route as a national transport communication in the Arctic;
• improvement of methods and technologies for research in the Arctic, corresponding to the country's perspective needs for the development of the Russian Arctic, as well as global trends;
• expanding the resource base of the Russian Arctic to meet Russia's needs for hydrocarbon and biological resources, strategic raw materials;
• improving the efficiency and reliability of the energy base development, taking into account the dispersed distribution of energy consumers and the use of various energy carriers;
• development of the Russia’s continental shelf in the Arctic Ocean and implementation of Russia's sovereign rights in the exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation in the Arctic;
• elimination of the environmental consequences of anthropogenic activities, conservation and protection of the natural environment of the Arctic in the face of increasing economic activity and global climate change;
• study of the climate change impacts on circumpolar regions, on the state and composition of the ecosystems of the Arctic, production and infrastructure facilities, ensuring the livelihoods of the population;
• development of measures ensuring the protection of the population and territories of the Russian Arctic to the threat of emergency situations of natural and antropogenous origin;
• efficient agricultural production for food security and coastal development;
• improving the quality of life of the population of the Russian Arctic, including indigenous peoples, preserving its traditional way of life and traditional economic activity, as well as cultural heritage sites;
• maintaining a balance of labor resources, improving the system of training and additional professional education for the balanced development of the Russian Arctic;
• advanced scientific and technological development and accelerated implementation of scientific developments in production to ensure resource-saving and balanced economic and social development of the regions and municipalities in the Russian Arctic;
• formation of the fundamental research system as an instrument for realizing the geopolitical interests of Russia in the macro-region;
• development of bilateral and multilateral research cooperation with scientific organizations from the Arctic and non-Arctic states.
FCIARctic RESEARCH ORGANIZATION
• Laboratories of the Institute for Complex Arctic Studies
Sociocultural Dynamics of the Development of the Arctic Regions of the Russian Federation
Evolutionary Ecology and Genomics of Aquatic Organisms
• Laboratories of the Institute of Environmental Problems of the North
Chemistry of Plant Bio-Polymers
Freshwater and Marine Ecosystems
• Departments of the Institute of Geodynamics and Geology
Laboratory of Seismology
Laboratory of Environmental Radiology
Laboratory of Deep Geological Structure and Dynamics of the Lithosphere
Unique scientific installation «Arkhangelsk Seismic Network»
• Departments of the Institute of Biogeography and Genetic Resources